Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, which is exciting in and of itself, but also terrible, because I'm exhausted and it's still ONLY Wednesday.

But seriously, it's all good.

Normally for Lent, I choose to give up something like chocolate or coffee. And while those are two big vices for me, so giving them up is a big challenge, I don't feel like I've ever truly come out of the Easter season feeling like I really got it. Like I fully understood the purpose of celebrating this season through giving something up.

I think I've tended to view Lent as more of a challenge than a spiritual discipline. My view has been more like "I just have to get through X more days and then I can drink coffee again" instead of joyfully land obediently iving in that season - the way it was meant to be experienced.

So this year, Dave and I have both felt called (for me, at least, this calling has been stronger and different than my usual desires to give something up at Lent) to do a modified fast for Lent.

We're kind of basing it off the Daniel fast, but we've changed it a little bit. We'll be eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, some oils, tofu, and a couple of other things. We've also added in chicken and wine, because we don't feel the need to completely give up meat or alcohol, although we certainly want to cut back. I'm a carnivore at heart.

Anyway, I'm feeling calm today, as I enter into this season - not anxious, like I usually do. I want to view this season more as something I'm excited about being in because of what's going to come out of it.

And I also wanted to put this in a public forum, so that - if you're so inclined - you can pray for us and hold us accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment