Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Help Lauren Read More!

One of my 2012 goals is to read 20 books. To some people, that may not seem like very many, but if I'm totally honest with myself, I've probably spent more time watching the E! network than reading books in 2011, and that's just really, really not OK.

I just finished Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas, which was amazing - highly recommended. So, I'm currently in that post-good-book slump where I don't want to start a new book because I don't think anything else will be as good. But that's not true, because there are millions of good books out there I haven't read - I just need to find them.

So, I've started a list of books I want to read in 2012. It's not very long, so I need suggestions. Like, if there are 20 books I need to read before I die, what do I absolutely have to read? (Like, what if I actually quit reading after 2012? Only 20 books left 'til death. So seriously - pick ONLY the best).

I like historical non-fiction, funny memoirs, sad memoirs, theology, and Harry Potter. And I'm trying to become someone who likes fiction.

Here's my list - please add your comments and additions!

1. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver - I've been meaning to read this for years, but it's just been sitting on my bookshelf.
2. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - Guess I need to read this by March?
3.The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach - Bought this for Dave for Christmas. Will be borrowing it.
4. A History of the World in 100 Objects - Neil MacGregor
5. Jerusalem - Simon Sebag Montefiore - Yes, I am publicly admitting I don't know enough about the roots of any major world religion. Plus, this is Bill Clinton's #1 must-read book, so I'll probably feel pretty smart and smug reading it in Starbucks. JK but not realllllllly.

OK, so, I guess that's it. I apparently can only think of 5 books I really want to read. That's kind of sad.

So, please send me your recommendations - I need 15 more. If I read your recommended book in 2012, I'll publicly acknowledge you on this blog after I read it, and talk about how great your taste in books is, and how smart you are. And if the book is bad, I'll still be thankful that, because of your recommendation, I read a book instead of watching Kim and Kourtney Take New York.

8 comments:

  1. You'll probably finish Hunger Games in 2 days because you won't be able to put it down!

    I'd give you book suggestions but they'd probably all be about economics or politics which can be pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best book I read this year: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. It's a good entryway into fiction of the "highbrow literary" sort. I also read The Keep by her and actually maybe liked it better, but I think you would like Goon Squad better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably the two best fiction books I have read are A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And one of the best non-fiction books was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nonfiction: "Consider The Lobster" by David Foster Wallace. A collection of funny and insightful essays. The title essay is about his visit to a lobster festival in Maine that ends up talking about the weirdness of tourism and the ways we justify boiling lobsters alive. There are two essays in there that take an empathic but critical approach to conservative politics. If you end up liking this book, you could try reading his fiction, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think (even though I know I've mentioned this book many times, so forgive the repetition) is My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. I read it for the first time years ago but it's one I keep coming back to.

    As for non-fiction/memoir, definitely read Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield. It's basically him telling his love story with his late wife and it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys! My list is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. travels with charley: in search of america (steinbeck, OBVIOUSLY). this was actually your dad's recommendation (thanks bruce!), and i read it over the holidays and it has become one of my favorite books.

    for non-fiction/memoir - i suggest anything by mary karr. cherry is my personal favorite, or you can go in order...the liars club, cherry, lit...have you already read these? anyway, they are great.

    ReplyDelete