Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Weekend!

Yesterday, after an extremely long week at work, and a very stressful Friday (during which I narrowly avoided crying at my office not once, but twice), I was SO ready for the weekend.

Luckily, Dave and I had planned a night out in lovely Chicago. Our friend Josh got us a night in a really nice hotel so we decided to go last night.

It was AWESOME and beautiful and a lovely break from everyday life out in the burbs. And the temperature was NOT freezing, which was a huge bonus.

We were able to get a room upgrade, which meant that we had a living room area and an extra bathroom. A half bath, for, like, if we had company over or something? I'm not sure. I've never been in a hotel room with more than one bathroom... not sure what the point was.

We were welcomed into the hotel by this lovely little treat in the living room. Four types of chocolate AND hand-written poetry. So sweet.



Here's a picture of the living area, including the mini bar that we didn't use because we wanted to still be able to pay our bills this month:


And a couple more pics, including this morning's delicious breakfast:

There were also TVs in the bathroom mirrors, which was ridiculous. We got ready last night while watching the A Charlie Brown Valentine. Well, more like listening to it, since I was more focused on putting my makeup on, as I didn't want to go out looking like this:


That whole last superfluous paragraph was really just an excuse to post that picture.

We also saw the following picture in the hallway of our floor:


Just looks like a funky painting, right? Let's zoom in...

I mean, this is just genius. Bravo, whoever painted this. You are officially the world's greatest artist. No one else should even try. (Office Olympics reference. Not my own originally phrasing, although I wish it were.) I mean, what do you say to a painting like that? It's just absurd, and yet, I love it. If I could afford it, I'd buy it. For real.

Anyway, in addition to pretending to be high-rollers who could regularly afford to stay in hotels like that, we also went out to an amazing dinner at Pane Caldo, a one-minute walk from the hotel.

It was kind of a pricey dinner, but it actually ended up being cheap because we used some of Dave's gambling winnings. He's allowed to keep making bets until he loses one. Last year, he bet a co-worker from Wisconsin that the Bears would have a better regular season than the Packers. Although the Packers won the Super Bowl, the Bears had a better regular season record, meaning we got a FANTASTIC deal on a great dinner. That dinner was, by far, the #1 reason I wanted the Bears to have a good season. Super Bowl, Schmuper Bowl. I don't care about them winning - I just want to know: will I get an amazing dinner out of this?

I had the cannelloni, Dave had the spaghetti, and we both fought over the grilled calamari appetizer. Excellent.

A lovely weekend, and it's only halfway over. YAY. Now off the watch some Lights Out with the hubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment