Saturday, February 5, 2011

Measurement Conversion Fail

Last night, Dave and I ventured out to accomplish a couple of missions:

1. print some wedding pictures to hang in the house
2. frame a print we bought in Spain

I don't want to become one of those people who just hangs wedding pictures all over their house, but, let's face it - I'm a bad photographer and I rarely take pictures, so the 294 professional wedding pictures we have are like a gold mine of cheap wall decorations. Why buy expensive art when I can print pictures cheaply and put them in frames I already own?

I've heard a lot of people say that printing wedding pictures is crazy expensive, which makes me think that none of these people have ever heard of Walgreen's. 20 prints, $13, 10 minutes. That's all it took. I thought we'd at least have to wait an hour to have them printed, but for just 4 cents more, we could have them printed immediately. It's a miracle of modern drug-store services!

Here's part of the finished decor:


I've had most of those frames for a long time... probably since high school, but I still love the way they all look together.

Moving on to our second mission of the night - framing a print.

When we were in Barcelona, we went to this AMAZING Gaudi apartment building called La Pedrera and bought a really great print of the building. I couldn't find a good picture online, but it's basically a picture of this:


We bought it for about 20 Euros, or about $100 (it seemed). I naively thought that we'd easily be able to find a $10 frame back home, and voila, we'd have a pretty print hanging up. And then I'd think, "we only spent $10 on this!" because I wouldn't count the Euros, because once I was back in the US, I'd be like, "Euros?! Out of sight, out of mind. It's basically Monopoly money," because that's the way I vacation.

I know there are a lot of good arguments for having a global standard for measurement systems, but I've never really understood the big issue. Who cares? You go to another country and they use kilometers instead of miles? Figure it out. A 5k is 3.1 miles (that's common knowledge, right?), so just do a little math to figure out the conversion. Or, just don't worry about it, because you're probably on vacation anyway.

Well, I now see - through a very superficial problem - why we really need a global standard. Because when you buy a print in Spain that is 68 x 98 cm, it's near impossible to find a cheap framing solution. And THIS is the "problem" that finally brought me to that conclusion. It's sad, I know. And also, this is sarcasm for anyone who doesn't know me well.

I never really been into getting prints custom-framed, or "doing things the right way," mostly because it always costs too much money and I irrationally think I can accomplish the same, high-quality end product for way less money. But, after searching for a cheaper solution, it seemed like it might be the best bet, so we headed to Hobby Lobby to check out pricing.

Speaking of conversions, here's a little equation for you:

68 cm x 98 cm = 26.7716 inches x 38.5826 inches = not a real size in the US = $134.18 to buy a custom frame

Uhhh, no thanks, Hobby Lobby. You're supposed to be a Christian business, and that is called "ripping people off."

Or maybe not. I don't really know. As I mentioned, I never custom frame anything.

When we first started looking into prices for framing, we considered just buying a frame from Europe since 68 cm x 98 cm is a standard size there. We quickly dismissed it, thinking it'd be way too expensive, but now it's looking like a pretty good option.

Or maybe I'll just buy a too-small frame at TJ Maxx and cut down the poster to make it fit. Kidding. Kind of.

Anyone have a good, cheap solution for this? Is $134 insane for a custom framing? Keep in mind, it's essentially a poster - it's not fine art or anything.

In other news, I walked into the study to write this post this morning, and saw a couple of magazines I'd received in the mail yesterday. I laughed when looking at the covers juxtaposed together, because the combination of them is so stereotypically... "these are magazines that a person like myself would receive" -

I know that being tempted by... "enticing" magazines is more of a stereotypically male problem, but let me tell you, for a girl who's trying to eat healthier and is stuck in sub-zero temperatures right now, getting magazines with pictures of a beach in Greece and brownies is probably not good for me.

I will read them anyway.



5 comments:

  1. $134.18 is not unreasonable for a custom-made frame. Unfortunately. But if you plan to have this on your wall for the next 50 years, the annual cost is only approximately $2.70. I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Hobby Lobby (or I suppose Michaels has the same deal?) when they have their custom framing deal...it's a super good deal! My friend got a custom framed huge puzzle done for 40.00 and it looks great!! I just looked and the deal isn't going on this week, but check on Monday when they have their new sale ad up and see if it's next week! It will say "custom framing __% off" http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/entire_ad.cfm?menu=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joann fabrics also does custom framing and often has %50 off deals as well. Another option: buy a more standard size discounted frame that is larger and just pay the extra for a custom matting (maybe with a cool linen finish so it doesn't look like you thomas kinkaded your cool print with a forest green matt)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you get a frame that's too big and mat it? Is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh good suggestions! Thanks, women :)

    ReplyDelete