Thursday, April 7, 2011

feelin' balmy

Last weekend I met up with my amazing BFF in downtown Chicago. We were standing outside talking, and all of the sudden she pulls out this weird egg-looking contraption, unscrews it, and starts glossing her lips with it. I was like, whhhhhhat is that? Sorry we were just having a deep conversation about serious issues in our lives, but ummm what is that thing and why have I never seen it?

It's the eos lip balm sphere, and because new, interesting packaging can literally sell anything (egg shapes are SO in this season, apparently), I was sold.


How cute is that? I love it. And because of its shape, I naturally imagine it has about 5 times as much balm as your typical stick, so it's a great deal, right? I may be overestimating. Actually, the BEST deal is just buying a container of vaseline for $1.99 that provides chapped lip care for 6 years and counting. Not that I would know. But, I mean, it's possible that I still use a container of vaseline that I bought my sophomore year of college. Whatever. It still works. And Yahoo! Answers has confirmed that vaseline doesn't expire. And we all know how reliable Yahoo! Answers is.

Anyway, back to the chap-egg. I bought the honeysuckle honeydew flavor, but they also have summer fruit, lemon drop, medicated tangerine (I'm not clear on why chap stick would ever need to be medicated, but the tangerine flavor sounds nice), and sweet mint. And they all come in different colors. You could totally buy 12 of these and put them in a spray-painted egg carton and give it to someone as an Easter basket. Can't you just imagine Martha Stewart doing that while she's whittling pieces of chocolate into miniature Easter bunnies for all her brunch guests?

I always wonder how Martha Stewart got so rich and famous off her craft ideas. Maybe "always" is too strong a word. I guess I only think about it when I think about her. But seriously, have you ever gone to someone's house for a holiday dinner and seen any of the crazy things she tells people to make? Like, I've never gone to an Easter dinner where there's a hand-woven basket full of crepe-paper carrots as the table centerpiece. It's like how Dancing with the Stars is the most popular show on TV, and yet, I don't know anyone who watches it. Who are those people out there watching Dancing with the Stars and making birds nests out of yarn and glitter? They're making Martha Stewart and Tom Bergeron very rich.

I should start a craft blog that only uses trinkets you can find at the checkout aisle of Walgreen's. It'll be like Martha Stewart for non-crafty, middle-class people.

2 comments:

  1. Haha those eggs are intriguing! Also, I don't think Vaseline EVER goes bad...or runs out. I think my mom has tubs from like 15 years ago still sitting in the bathroom cabinet. And darn if it doesn't still do the job. Gross? Maybe. Who can say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are as intrigued as I am about the eggs! Every time I use them out and about people stare at me as if I'm about to put a jaw breaker in my mouth(no thank you).

    Let me just say that your comment about the crepe paper carrots made me cackle! God love ya!

    ReplyDelete